Friday, July 19, 2019

24A - Venture Concept No. 1

Venture Concept No. 1

After playing video games for 16 years of my life, I recognized there was an untapped opportunity that if correctly exploited could be very profitable. This opportunity arises out of a pain point in gaming and something that has always been a problem, the fact that there is no way to limit the amount of sweat you release on to gaming controllers. Playing video games has always been fun but when you have to wipe off the controller every time you use it or someone passes it to you, it takes away from the phone. The force in the environment that created this opportunity to create a gaming controller with an internal cooling system is the fact that too many people get frustrated from sweaty controllers and no other company has fixed this problem yet. The market is defined demographically rather than geographically. Our target market is basically anyone who plays video games and uses gaming controllers. However, the prototypical consumer for our product tends to be males aged from 10-21. Customers currently attempt to satisfy this need for a way to reduce sweaty controllers by either just wiping off the sweat with their shirt or towel, or they buy controllers that have grips. Although these grips make it easier to hold on to the controller while you sweat, it does not actually limit the amount of sweat there is. They are not very loyal to these grips because it is not that efficient. This opportunity is huge solely because there is such a need for it and no other company has created a controller with an internal cooling system yet. The window of opportunity will be open until someone creates the actual controller.

Our product is a controller with an internal cooling system specifically designed to limit the amount of sweat that gets released from one's hand to the gaming controller. It basically works when the sensor inside the controller senses it is getting overheated and then the cooling system gets to work. By making the cooling system start with a sensor, we are able to save money in production because you can use a smaller battery. We will sell the cooling controllers for 75 dollars.

Our innovation will solve the problem of sweaty hands while playing video games. Customers will definitely switch to this new product because there is currently no product like ours out there. They will easily switch over from using grips to using our product when they hear that our product will completely solve the problem rather than just attempt to make it a little less worse like grips do. There are no direct competitors but companies that put grips on controllers would be the closest competitor. They are very weak and vulnerable because grips just make it easier to hold sweaty controllers, it does not actually make you sweat less. Packaging plays a huge role because the customer should be able to clearly see what our product is and how it works from the packaging. I would rent out a big factory and pay employees to make the product. I would probably need about 50 employees for production. I would need about 25 employees to package the product and then another 25 to distribute the controllers to retailers.

I think my most important resource will be my human capital. My perseverance and hard working nature will make my company successful because I will never give up on my product until it is is successful. It is impossible to match someones personality and that gives us a leg up on competitors.

Our next venture will be to get our technology, the internal cooling system, in to any small device that gets overheated such as iPhones or even computers.

In five years, I want to be the leading gaming controller company and as an entrepreneur, I want to have had started another company in a different segment to diversify my portfolio. This venture helps with my vision because it gives me valuable experience on how to run and start a company.

5 comments:

  1. Reed,
    I think that is a next great venture! I think after you get your first product on the market and people become familiar with your company, you can start doing internal cooling systems for other things! I think finding an internal cooling system for an iPhone would be a great idea. I work outside and my iPhone continually overheats, and I have to constantly try to cool it down. So, I would be down with that product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Reed,
    I really love your passion for this subject it is such a great idea. I think that with this blog entry you really covered a lot and did the right things. I found it super interesting the subject is something that I would love to do future research on. After reading your article it hooked me and makes me want to get more information about it. Combining the subject together is a great way to widen your audience and make the most use out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Reed! As always, I love keeping up with your posts! Before diving in to how well you did, and how much I enjoyed reading this content, I had a question dawn on me as I began reading your post...Wouldn't the amount of effort it would take for the cooling system in the controller to work, only maximize the amount of heat the controller takes, therefore, making the product in a sense more difficult to sell? Just a question! Let me know if it doesn't make sense, I just think it's a good thing to inquire about! Loved this post! Great job on taking your time to explain everything, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Reed! I think that your post is awesome and full of detail about your controller cleaner. Is there a way to conduct the heat out of the controller using and internal ventilation or cooling system to take advantage of technology that already exists? would there be a way to make controllers out of a material that does not conduct heat such as stainless steel?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reed,
    You're clearly very passionate about this business idea. I'm not surprised by this, as you have been playing video games for 16+ years. You mentioned that human capital would be your most valuable resource, and I couldn't agree more. Dedicated workers with little money can get a lot more done than lazy workers with a lot of money! Your "next step" is a great idea. There are many forms of technology that heat up quickly after prolonged use. Although I don't believe cellphones should be your next target, computers may be the right direction. As I'm writing this, I have my computer on my lap and the level of heat it is giving off is very uncomfortable. Just a suggestion!

    ReplyDelete